I do not understand the question

Yesterday a few Americans went out and cast their ballots for even fewer Americans who chose to put their name in the running for federal, state, and local governmental positions. Dictionary.com says that government is a branch or service of the supreme authority of a state or nation, taken as representing the whole. I will get to the representative part in a minute. Right now I want to talk about the hoopla that surrounds the time of year when voting is a pressing issue. Its the one time of the year when people's civil rights mindset is on blast. We can even get to that later.

This entry is about the idea that African Americans need to vote, because a few African Americans faced severe adversity in an effort to earn this right for African Americans to vote. This brings me to my point, should African Americans ever have been denied the right to vote in the first place? I say no. So then, the premise that we owe this to someone I believe is flawed.

Disclaimer: I am in no way discounting the efforts of those who died, were jailed, and altered the course of history with their actions.

Instead my thoughts are on the orginal idea that African Americans could not vote and then my thoughts go directly to now. Is voting so important because it was once something African Americans were not allowed to do? Someone get me a ratio and racial breakdown of who votes and who does not. Are Asian Americans frowned upon for not voting. What about Latinos. I would argue a few Americans do not want Latinos voting anyway. We can get to that another time as well.

This is about the idea that because we were once denied what is percieved as a right that now somehow we should be jumping for joy because 'masta' gave us this opportunity. Ok, so lets look at who we are voting for. Anyone that looks like me? Anyone with similar ideals as mine? Anyone from my alma mater? How about anyone in my social-econmic class? Most of those answers are no. So who AM I voting for? Most likely I am voting for the great, great grandchild of the man who initially denied my great, great grandfather the right to vote.

My, my, my, does this sounds fishy. Take a look at the US Senate. In my opinon, this is the most powerful sector of our govenment. One hundred senators, two from each state. Not one of them is of African American decent.

Answer me this, do you believe there are white Americans who would never vote for an African American?

If you answered yes, then why do we expect African Americans to ALWAYS vote for white Americans. If you answered no, please pardon my ignorance, and continue reading.

Is this not basic logic?

Before I allow myself to surcome to the notion that I am dilussional and America is past any race concerns, please at least allow me to finish this blog. I simply can not stand around and play politics or being politically correct at this hour. Political correctness is what has made so much that is wrong seem right here in the 2010th year.

All I am saying is we are due for an American enlightment period that is filled with more than aged old sayings and tired old ways of doing business. Sure with what we have a few Americans will make a lot of money. Sure with what we have even a few African Americans will live out the perenial American dream, and sure with what we have the United Negro College Fund will continue to get in kind donations from white, black, alley-oop, and eskimos, but geez with what we have there is not a single African American in the US Senate. There has not been an African American elected to the House of Representative as a Republican since reconstruction! Well, not that long, but I need a point of reference that would show longevity.


The government should be representative of whom it is governing. We just do not have that in America. So next time you want me to go knocking on peoples doors, calling strangers or infringing on my friends personal time to get them to go stand in line to vote, give me a better reason than because its your right. It was not always my right, and that is where the ugly eye of hypocracy begins. Maybe I am the only person who thinks this is just a bad deal.

Thanks for reading. I will keep writing as long as you keep reading. 


One love, 

Ethan  

Comments