Eight (8) Songs that Changed the Way I Think About Mainstream Music!

The songs below are but a few that came to mind as I began to ponder the melodies that have shaped my musical tendencies. As a young child, I was not allowed to listen to certain variations of music. For example, I can vividly remember being at my Grandmother's house watching Thriller and peeking around the corner to make sure she was not coming.

Later in life, of course as I became inherently more independent it was ok for me to view more secular music and make the decision as to what I would allow to tickle my ears. Below are the songs that I believe helped me to understand the artists, their message, and learn from the world around me without even leaving my bedroom.

In no particular order, these songs are:

1. MC Hammer---You Can't Touch This
This track was released in 1990 when I was just eight years old. I feel like I was older than that when it was release, b/c I remember vividly dancing like Hammer, and recognizing him as an icon even before I knew what the word icon stood for. My older cousin Elbert Washington had an impact on me as he became the closest thing I knew of MC Hammer b/c he would mimic Hammer's every move from the baggy pants to the signature dance moves!

2. Too Short---The Ghetto
I was just an innocent kid in 1990 when this track was released. I never knew I lived in the ghetto until Too Short told me. The imagery in this song was so alive in my neighborhood that I began to internalize his words, and from this my vision and dream of uplifting my family and community were born. This is a remake of a prior song by Donnie Hathaway I believe, but for me it was Too Short's version that shifted my mind from a musical perspective.

3. Kayne West---The Good Life
Never before did I know a place could make you feel a certain way until 2007 when Kayne released this smash single, Good Life. Now of course I knew going to my grandmother's house made me feel a certain way or being on the baseball field made me feel safe and gave a feeling of belonging, but when Kayne came out with this single I understood how cities, places, and things could invigorate a man. It became more real to me when I moved to Atlanta. "It feels like Atlanta." Yeah! The Good Life did it for me!

4. Jay-Z---Hard Knock Life
I began to believe in Jay Z when I heard this song in 1999. I had heard The Life and Times of S. Carter Volume I, but when this track hit the streets on Volume II it again spoke to what I had seen my whole life around me. It also showed the elevation that would bring one from the Hard Knock Life to the Good Life, and I liked that. So I can really say my fandom of Shawn Carter began when I heard this song.


5. Alicia Keys---You Don't Know My Name 
In 2003 when this song was released I was in the midst of mutiple friendships with women whom had not been introduced to my true feeling toward them. Then Alicia Keys introduced this song to the world, and I could relate to the emotion behind her words. It really is a beautiful song, and you can tell b/c more than 8 million people have viewed the originalI video via YouTube. I learned open communication from this song.

6. Curtis Mayfield---Keep on Keepin On
I was not born when Curtis released this song in 1971, however I have learned through history books about the way of life during that time period. When I first began listening to Curtis Mayfield in 2008 I went to Wikipedia to try and locate his whereabouts. Sadly enough he passed away in the 90s. I wanted to meet this man, because this song spoke to my soul. At the time I was in the mist of a mind transformation and elevating my personal intuition and innovative pleasures, and Mayfield spoke to me with his distinct yet ordinary word play. Rest In Peace Curtis Mayfield.

7. Micheal Jackson---Thriller
This is another song that was release when I was too young to understand it. In 1983, the world was changed for ever when MJ released Thriller. No one has ever done it the way Mike did it, and it shows in the way even six, seven, and eight year olds now mimic Michael Jackson, his moves, his words, his Love. I want to leave a legacy, a following, and a love like Michael Jackson did. He truly blessed the world and alter my perception of music with this song and many more of his classic hits!!!

8. Kirk Franklin--Stomp
In 1997, Kirk Franklin introduced the world to a new wave of gospel. Never before had anyone on the gospel express crossed the secular line the way Franklin did and continues to do to this day. His single Stomp made it easy to praise God even with a flare of hip hop culture. Although blurring the line of rap and gospel may have also blurred the perception of some young and personable Christians there is still time to right the ship that I believe has gone wrong somewhere along the line. I believe, some artist today have disguised their ill intent with vague mentions of Jesus Christ.

Thats all for now.

Love,

Ethan
@ethamous
comfortablyliving@gmail.com
clc.organogold.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-l91O9VxN0

Comments