Good things come to those who wait: Parallels of Fandom and Manhood


I've waited 18 years for my 49ers to get back into the Super Bowl. 



I must admit it was not always pretty and many, many times over I was left on the sideline as fans from other teams celebrated victory. Over the years I found myself rooting for certain players on other teams, and in 2000 I even got fully behind the Baltimore Ravens as they made their run into the record books. Since 1988, my loyalty to the San Francisco 49ers has led me to nearly come to tears as a youngster in 1992 and 1993, both years we lost to the eventual champion Dallas Cowboys. 

Then there was the Terrell Owens debacle and how he left, but bigger than that was the Eddie Debartolo front office fiasco of the late 90s which lead to years of financial turmoil and eventual sale of the team. Now, here in 2013, those same San Francisco 49ers franchise is days away from a grand opening to a new winning era that was born while Mike Nolan was the head coach, nurture through the Singletary years, and finally realized when Jim Harbaugh brought his winning ways to the Bay.

The stories and lessons of the SF 49ers runs parallel to my life. I have tirelessly labored year after year to find the right mix of skill, desire, and knowledge. Sometimes just like with the 2004 49ers I find myself in a proverbial last place. Then there are the days when just like last year’s team who lost on a botched punt return in overtime of the NFC championship game, I find myself so close yet so far away. It's funny that Ray Lewis, the biggest name of Super Bowl 47 has be outspoken about his belief in God, because throughout my up and down ride through joy and peace I have always stood by a strong belief that there is a higher power governing my life as well as everyone around me. I too believe, “no weapon formed against me shallprosper.”

So now, I find myself preparing for my own Super Bowl experience after dedicating the last five years of my life to education. I am now tried with transitioning from where I am now to where I want to be. Never before has the statement of T.I. rang truer when he talked about his personal dilemma on the popular song, Live Your Life. Here's what he said, “Life an interesting journey. You never know where it’ll take you, peaks and valleys, twists and turns; you can get the surprise of your life. Sometimes on the way to where you’re going you will think this is the worst time of my life. But you know what? At the end of the road through all the adversity if you can get where you wanted to be. You remember whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and all the adversity was worth it. On your way to the top, you will do anything, but how do you get your life back when you get there? Yeah, that’s my dilemma.”

  
Thank you 49ers, you motivate me. This is our year! 

#Consistency #Enterprising #SuperBowl #EthanBrisby #49ers


Ethan 

Comments