Memoirs of a Morehouse Man: Texas A&M

My name is Ethan Brisby, I am an ordinary guy with an extraordinary passion for expression. Here I am two hours away from my one and only final exam of this my 1st semester at of graduate school at Texas A&M. The subject, Accounting.

Accounting is interpreting information to assist your decision making process. According to my Professor, Adam Myers critical thinking is essential when tackling the accounting monster. It starts simply with a business entity and expands to Balance Sheets, Statements of Income, Share Holder Equity, Cash Flow Statements, and a multitude of special accounts that are added with each transaction.

A business can be a sole proprietorship, a corporation, a limit liability corporation, or a partnership. You have to register you company under one or more of these facilitative descriptions. The way I see it, Limited partnerships are the most appealing and easiest to start when more than two investors are involved. In a limited partnership you are only responsible for the time and money you put into the agreement.

So if the company itself loses money your only loss is the money you put in rather than the total amount of any losses and fees. Contrarily, partnerships help business entrepreneurs to build smarter and not harder. Of course opportunity often comes disguised as hard work, but in this case I believe partnerships when each party has a significant amount at stake prove to generate shared focus and services.

This semester at Texas A&M has taught me much about transition and how to plan when transitioning. There is so much to learn about accounting that I am sure this short semester did nothing but moisten the surface of the knowledge and principles of the practice of Accounting. I know one thing I can definitely see how and where Chief Executive Officers and their team can manipulate the rules of accounting for ill-gotten gain.

The ill-gotten practices of money management have been well read and well televised. We see people live and die by the dollar around us everyday. The marketplace is so mammoth, well-versed, and vast yet few reap its benefits in the purest form. The purest form being, large scale such as manufacturing and distribution. Many of us falter and fall prey at the retail and consumer level dismissing the purest market forms as superseding our capacities.

For what its worth, I really enjoy the world we live in for what it is worth. While I have called this place home less than 30 years my eye will never have enough of seeing nor my ears enough of hearing. That is why I continue to expose myself to classrooms, lectures, reading, writing, and praying. As for this accounting test, we shall see what come of it. I believe I am prepared to go in and make the most of my opportunity to show I can learn.

Similarly, learning can be a self-taught skill. Take time to learn how to think rather than what to think. Find someone to model your life around. Start with Jesus Christ, a man who lived a blameless life. One who walks by faith and not by sight. Then use this world we live in to spread the word of God to his people, in your homes, in the market, in the classroom, and to all four corners of Earth. Let His freedom ring!

Love,

Ethan
@ethamous
@livecomforable 
comfortablyliving@gmail.com
clc.organogold.com    

Comments