June 17, 2022

Experiences and reflections of my 30s

Ethan Brisby in Mombasa


From 2012-2022, I lived within all the windows of opportunity brought to me by the number 30. From the time my 20s faded to now when my 40s are front and center I evolved as a man. My thirties saw me:

1.       Run for office

2.       Travel to East Africa

3.       Become a schoolteacher

4.       Purchase a home

5.       Go to jail

6.       Watch my son graduate high school

7.       Buy my dream car at the time a 3 Series BMW

8.       Start a real estate company

9.       Earn a master’s degree

10.   Consistently generate multiple streams of income

As I reflect on my life’s design, I am reminded of the goodness of the Lord. I have indeed never seen the righteous forsaken. I am reminded of the Bible referring to the life of kings who were noted as “doing good in God’s eyesight.” I experience God’s grace and mercy daily, and especially in my 30s. He is and was everywhere I went. I experience the presence of God’s peace daily.

One thing I realized recently about me is that I find the God in everything that happens around me. I know all things work for the good of those who love the Lord. This helps me to live a meaningful life. By seeing God in both the perception of highs and lows, it helps me to better understand my journey.

Ethan Brisby in Uganda
Understanding is something I also gained in my 30s. My grandmother used to tell me all the time, “in all your getting, get understanding.” While I felt I understood the advice then, I certainly understand it now. She was telling me to be patient, be kind, show forbearance in all that I do. She was admonishing me to live in the spiritual realm beyond what the naked ear can receive or beyond more than what the naked eye can see.

My thirties also saw some tough times within my experience with fatherhood. I say tough, because things did not always work out how I would have written the story. This, however, does not mean things were negative. It just means, I had to learn on the fly, be bold, and make decisions that will impact the long-term outcomes of my offspring. Whenever I make decisions, I truly believe God is in them.

So, as I continue reflecting on my 30s, I see so much progress in my life. I understand better the quote we live by at Morehouse, “You have to grow tall enough to wear the crown that is over your head.” Each phase of life has a different crown that must be worn, and I am not always ready made equip to wear it. But life has a way of favoring those who are bold.

Ethan Brisby at Sipi Falls
So, as I migrate into the letter 4, and begin this next decade of my life, I am happy to take with me all my newfound wisdom. I am ready to love again and be loved a double portion. God knows my heart, and I am grateful he continues to give me health and strength. As I go into the next phase, I pray for continued prosperity of all sorts; financial, emotional, spiritual, psychological, and mental. I pray and ask for passionate companionship, a new sphere of influence, loyal friends, and joyous memories created.

Comments