My First Two Weeks of Teaching

My First Two Weeks of Teaching
By: Ethan Brisby
@ethanbrisby

Monday, January 28, 2019 I walked into my first full-time teaching position with a spirit of expectancy, a great deal of pride, and child-like boldness. My task; teach 1st and 2nd graders the basics of Math and Science.  Teaching comes natural to me, and it’s something I’ve done impromptu my entire life. This however was my first ‘official’ assignment. Here are three lessons I have either learned or been reminded of since stepping into the classroom.  
  1. It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men 
This is a quote I’d heard before, but I am living it now. Most of my prior leadership/teaching experience involved working with teens and young adults. This assignment however is providing much needed insight into my never-ending pursuit of understanding how best to impact the most people for the longest amount of time. Many of my students come from poverty-stricken backgrounds, however it’s the seeds I plant in their head today that may fall on good soil and help them to be strong enough to endure what lies ahead. From a practical perspective, if I can help them understand the basics of Math and Science, and how to think better it can be a great foundation for the next 3-5 years of their learning pyramid.  
  1. Expect the unexpected 
I knew I would be taking over for a teacher going on maternity leave, but I did not know that she would have her baby the day I started. My school paired me with another teacher who shares the responsibilities of teaching the curriculum, but she also wears many hats among the small school staff. So then, I’ve been challenged much earlier on to produce and perform for my students than I thought coming into the situation. Thankfully, I have seen many pressure packed situation, so lassoing 1st and 2nd graders is not intimidating. If anything, it’s a great challenge and responsibility my life experiences have prepared me for perfectly.  
  1. 2nd Grade is a microcosm of the world  
In life you can pretty much group most of the people you know into four or five personality types. Second grade is no different. As a matter of fact, it's even more obvious than you may think. You can see how these personality trends and test scores might help economists and world leaders make bold predictions about people’s future habits. This kind of insight and perspective falling into the wrong hands is part of why we have the so-called schools to prison pipeline.  Furthermore, the 2nd grade microcosm is why big pharma is so dominant. I really see second grade as a representation of the idea that the world is equally balanced between good and bad, and my next move will tilt the scales.  

In short, I always thought I would be best served impacting young people just as they were preparing to enter the working world or transition into college. These last two weeks have convinced me that following a group of students from 2nd grade to 6th grade and beyond may prove to be more effective. I already love my kids, all of them. I am looking forward to finishing this school year with them. Man makes the plans, but God tests the heart. 

Comments