Ten Years in Marvin’s Room: Ethan Brisby; man, myth, legend


September 8, 2016

Ten years ago today, I walked out of a job that many of my peers from the urban core of Bryan, Texas would have called a dream job. I was a Banker. I sat to the right as you walk through the doors of First American Bank, later known as Citi Bank. People told me I was crazy. Little did I know I’d get use to that; except crazy would soon be disguised as words like Brainiac or throw’d, and people would tell me how strange I am. Some would claim their friendship to get a front row seat to the joy I bring to every situation. Thing is, this joy that I have, the world did not give it to me. In the ten year that would pass by since that time I went on to shift the trajectory of my life and eventually everyone in my inner circle.

I’ve learned and conquered more hardship than many experience in a lifetime. The type of hardship and growth that comes along with being ruthlessly true to a call to do more. This is a list of what I remember right now during this ten minutes of creative writing; the people, the places, and things that defined the last ten years of my life.

1. I FELL IN LOVE two week after I moved to Atlanta. I decided the best thing for me was to attain an education beyond the high school threshold, so at 24, at the first peak of my career, I chose to move to Atlanta, GA on January 18, 2008 after enrolling at Morehouse College. Within weeks, I met the woman I'd been praying for since my son was born in 2002. Yes, I thought for sure this was a forever love, which is why it is lesson #1.
Love is a beautiful thing, but you have to be ready for what comes with that. Four years in it, I was empty and published my first book, “5 Proven Strategies on How to Pay for College” as a mean to elevate myself past what became heartbreak. So now, I keep on keeping on, knowing better is out there.

2. I HELPED START A SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM in 2008 at my Alma Mater that is still handing out money to Atlanta area student who excel in writing and oratorical skills. I even brought the program to my home city. Bryan was and still is in need of a viable after school program that will prepare youth and young adults for a world larger than Texas Avenue and Highway 6. Next Great American Poet, would fuel the dynamic that became Team SHIFT and eventually helped me make a name as a motivational speaker. Speaking life into youth became a part of my thinking pattern, and still to this day, I chose to speak life to you based on my personal testimony.

3. So much so, in the summer of 2011, I STARTED MY OWN PROGRAM after presenting SHIFT to a panel of millionaires as a Finalist at the Mays Business School Ideas Competition. I then took matters into my own hands when I walked into the Boys and Girls Club of the Brazos Valley in the summer of 2011 with a curriculum they would adopt. We took students from Bryan ISD to Houston for a Houston area college tour and implemented a program that would go on to speak life through the City of Bryan’s Summer Youth Program, GEAR, and others as well over the next two years. Today, I sit back and ponder thought of how to make SHIFT a reality again.

4. After two years of SHIFT, I PIVOTED TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT through real estate ownership.

5. As I evolved into a fledgling real estate mogul, I MET A WOMAN WHO WOULD HELP ME BEGIN MY CAREER. A woman name Rene. In life you meet people who like the idea of who you are. Then you meet people who believe in you as a person. Rene was the ladder part of that part. She saw me as a young male who was on a mission to enhance the world. In the past ten years, I’ve met plenty people who believed in me, but some were more active in their belief than other. Sure enough, I have not always held up my end of the bargain. Today, I think of them, and am thankful that time is yet on my side to make things better. All things work for the the good of those who love the Lord. 

6. MY SON GREW INTO A YOUNG MAN. Ten years ago, Kavian was four years old. I knew I could either stay around him 24/7 or I could go create a new reality for our future. Against the judgment of many including his mother, I chose to take chances.
Now he is an 8th grader; a leader among youth, A/B student, and preparing to take the next step in his life. I can only be thankful to God, and the village raising him that I was bless with a son. He indirectly pushed me toward greatness we each can experience.

7. MY MOTHER, MY THREE YOUNGER BROTHER, AND MY YOUNGER SISTER; we all grew together. On my maternal family, which I was raised around, I saw my grandfather leave, then my grandmother. This on the heels of my paternal grandfather being murdered before I ever met him. My paternal grandmother is the only grandparent I have left; I have to appreciate her more. Aside from her, I have brothers and sister, of whom I am the oldest who love me. As the older, I have no choice but to grow from them. Many of their habits both good and bad evolved from watching big brother navigate murky waters. God also sent me a father-figure who has helped me earn money to stay afloat when times get and got hard.


8. I COACHED MY SON’S FOOTBALL TEAM AND WATCH HIM BECOME A COOL KID. My greatest job is being a dad, and when God sends me my better half, I will put one or two more in her. For now, though my only son is my pride and joy. He’s a leader, he’s me, he’s what I needed to enhance my life over the long haul.

9. FRIENDS HAVE COME AND GONE. One of the best lessons is that some people are leaves, others are branches, and only a few are roots. I cannot tell you even today who my roots are. What I can tell you is that I trust God more than people. I do not put my trust in men or women, because of my ten year journey. What I will do is trust God to send me people who love me the person, and not the idea of Ethan Brisby.

10. I GREW A FEW INCHES IN AUSTIN FOR ONE FULL YEAR AFTER GRADUATE SCHOOL. Living in Austin in 2013 showed me the true power of walking by faith and not by sight. I met so many young professionals who entrusted me to advise and seek answers beyond the norm. God always sends me his best workers including the woman, Diane who gave me a place to live in Austin. The Capital of the Great State showed me my peers as a young professionals.
There comes a point in every man’s journey when he becomes more than he was before, and believe me, his or her peers likely help give him or her a good portion of that confidence by being true confidants and supporters of his or her vision. I am no different, just an example.  

MISC:traveled all over the United States; from the late night streets of New Orleans and Las Vegas to the subways of New York and DC. Not to mention the night life in San Jose, Costa Rica. My Morehouse Brothers, many of whom I need to reconnect with continue to be the iron I need to remain sharp.
My Aggie family, whom from the inside looking out, I cannot explain the bond are in places like Nairobi, Kenya, Lagos, Nigeria, Bangkok, Thailand and real estate development companies from sea to shinning sea. Above all, I have seen my family evolve from strictly my blood to the people who see things the way I see them, blood or not.

I have my life in front of me. Ten years later, I could not have written a better script. 

Are you drunk right now?




From marvin’s room,

Ethan B, 34 
A 21st Century Success Story About Faith 


Comments