An Ode to the Class of 2001

July 31, 2011

Men lie. Women lie. Number don't

This weekend, I had the honor of experiencing my first class reunion. Yes, it has been ten years since I was released from the American public education system. My, my, my was this a time of my life. Not because there was an open bar or because Ashley Lackey was stunning in her dress, but because I felt at ease; at peace with the people that I have known since before I even knew racism existed.

I have done a thing or two, been a place or two, and met a person or two since two thousand and one, but none comparable to the inner joy that comes along with reconnecting with friends of your past and long time friends of your future. The young ladies who put the reunion together spent tireless hours planning, promoting, and preparing and not knowing if they would made their money back. As quiet as it was kept, those girls paid for our reunion out of their pockets. No worries, there were enough people there, that I am sure they made a nice profit.

Friday night was epic. When I walked in the door I know I shook at least 10 hands and handed out 20 hugs before I could make it to the bar. Blacks, white, latinos, fat, skinny, and all that we had it and still have it within the illustrious Class of 2001. As soon as I made my way to the bar I looked over and saw my old baseball crew, and it wasn't ten seconds until the first racial joke was fired. No worried, its how we connect. This is America and there is no need in acting like you did not take history.

Big Ian, Boof, Drew, Zak, Cody, the whole crew in one place at one time. I remember those guys and their parents giving me rides helping me pay for those expensive ass tournament teams...all that. Its love. I told them that if it were not for me they would probable join the Tea Party. But with at least one black friend they have to at least stay Red. All jokes aside, I love those guys.

Then there were the girls. Everyone has gone through high school and admitedly so some will have had a different experience than others, but boys will be boys and girls will be girls, which means high school will be high school Hormones. Now though, its a new day people are knocked up, jumping the broom, and others still looking for the answers to the most basic sex ed pledge: abstinence...maybe not.

Saturday was even better. Yours truly was able to grace the mic. Congratulations to all the people who won awards like the person that looks the same, the couples thats been married the longest, the person who traveled the furthest to get here, and some other ones too. Then there was the Memorial. We have lost 11 classmates out of more than 1,000 that began as freshman at the old Lamar 9th grade school.

To be continued...

Comments