2012 Year in Review


Lessons Learned by a Young Man in Transition


What an exciting year this has been. The year 2012 saw me self-publish my first book, “5 Proven Strategies on How to Pay for College,” travel to the East Coast to speak to a group of high schoolers at High School Inc., travel to Brooklyn’s Bed-Stuy community to speak at a college fair and step show, travel to Austin to give a keynote address at the Step-in-Motion Scholarship Gala, complete my Texas A&M graduate program, host four college application parties for local high schoolers, contract two more SHIFT personal development academies with local government, share my faith with others, celebrate 30 years of living, my son celebrated his 10th birthday, and my extended family is in good physical health! 
Wow, that's a mouthful, and I have so much to be thankful. This year has come with its share of surprises as well. It did not come with any short of turbulence and heartache to combust the good fortune I received. For God has a perfect way of balancing out my life, and I am still learning to live within his ways as I grow nearer to Him and the lifestyle I desire for myself.

Looking ahead to 2013 and beyond, I believe even more new ideas, creative people, loyal friends, and checks to cash are within an arm’s reach for me. It would seem that I simply need to find it within myself to reach further even when my eyes may deceive me into a shell or into not believing my destiny is filled with joy and happiness. This year has truly completed the re-positioning process began in 2006. For me, the next thing to do is to relocate to a more vibrant, more proactive market where a person with my intellect and character can be appreciated. 
But before I divulge into any details, let’s first consider some of the lessons I have learned from this year. The first lesson I learned is: To still the body is to strengthen the spirit. The spirit is where the voice of reasoning lives. I spent a great deal of time this year tending to the gathering of my thoughts, praying, meditating, and studying the word of God. So much so, I eventually took the leap of faith to deliver messages to God’s people about the battle with the mind. I felt powerful each time I stood before God’s people. Sometimes I felt too powerful and retreated, because I do not know if I am equip to handle that much power or that kind of power yet. But I definitely learned that when I want to get something accomplished or if I am in need of internal recognizance, to still the body is to strengthen the spirit.  

There are countless days that I spent writing while simply listening to myself think. It would help me to determine a course of action, and at times it would help me to avoid a course of action that I may have otherwise taken. When you grow up in poverty and decide to make it out by the sheer wits of your intelligence, you have very small margins for error. This also entitled me to distancing myself from the pack and a sense of cleansing. It not only gives me power internally, but it gives me a sense of external fortitude with peers and those who have no idea what this new mode of ambition is all about.


The second lesson I learned this year is: Dealing with a woman is something that involves a great deal of risks and should never be taken lightly. In life you will deal with all kinds of people rather it be church folks, families, employees, colleagues, or peers. However, there is one relationship that is indefinable. That is a relationship between a man and woman. For me, I completely gave a woman my heart. I was in the process of making her my wife, but it never came to be. Before things could pan out, it detonated and self-imploded. Leaving me with ashes, crumbs, and questions about how I could get duped so badly. It is truly a humbling experience, and one that truly speaks volumes to the strength I have gained this year. 

have learned to move on in the face of apparent defeat, I have learned forgiveness, and most importantly I can take from this that no earthly relationship can compare to my relationship with the Creator. God, just like energy will always be there; he always is, always was, and always will be. A woman may be here today and gone tomorrow, never to be heard from again. I will now take greater caution in my dealings with woman as I know better now that there is certainly no guarantee in life outside of death and taxes. God knows my heart and when considering this lesson, I pray and ask God to heal my heart while he prepares me to be the King I am destine to become.

The third lesson I learned from this year’s experiences is: You must carry a task to the end before it will become the reality that exist in your head. So many times over the years, I have had innovative ideas that end up becoming after thoughts and another what if or should have. This year however, I broke through that cycle by publishing my first book. This is something I have wanted to do for some time now, and I am thankful it has become my reality. The other half of this lesson is in knowing there were many, many, things I could have done better, yet I did not. For this reason, combined with past failures turned lessons, I am more than prepared to invest the time and effort to take all deals which will benefit me and mine to and through the finish line in 2013 and beyond!   

Even now as I sit and ponder, there are areas in my life that need attending to; that require me to practice great concentration to get through them. God knows I have seen my fair share of ups and down, but if it is up to me then I understand better now that nothing just happens. It will take a waterfall of sheer force, enterprising tactics, and strategic planning to complete the goals which I have set for myself. Goals I must carry to a satisfactory end.

These are accomplishments and lessons I have learned from my experiences of 2012. This is not an all-inclusive list, but instead a method for me to understand where I have come from and where I can go from here. Share these lessons and follow any links above that may be of interest to you. 

Happy living in 2013!

@ethanbrisby 

Comments

Post a Comment