Let's do lunch

I had the most amazing lunch date last week with one of my mentors. I'd called him two days prior and told him I needed advice. I needed an honest assessment of my short term objectives as they relate to my long term goals.

With this in mind, I traveled to his office and we carpooled to Tony Roma's Steakhouse. He told me, "why would I take you anywhere but to my place." You see, my mentor is a developer and the Tony Romas we ate at is one of his projects.

I told him, "I want to do what you are doing. I want to work in real estate." Within five minutes he had set me straight by telling me that is not who I am. I'd lost touch with my first love. He told me I had to reconnect with that thing that will have me waking up before the alarm clock sounds each morning.

I stayed up all night that evening revamping my resume to highlight my reporting strengths. I woke up the next morning and began to look online for leads in the field of journalism. I am a communicator and throughout my life it is journalism that has breathed life into me.

When I was high school my journalism teaching used to print my opinion columns when I thought they were just rants, but she told me my writing spoke to what people need to hear and not what they want to hear. Then when I hosted "Word on the Street" on KEOS 89.1 I would come alive every Tuesday night when the ON-AIR light lit up.

I had finally figured it! I was complicating a simple process. That's what happens when your college of choice does not have a journalism program. I studies Urban Studies in college and until a week ago I had redirected my focus to community development. This lunch date changed my life though. I realized that my knowledge base had expanded and now I was ready to use my skills to do what I do best, report.

I am a reporter and that is what I plan to do to gain the "strength"I need to have an impact on largest scales. In the 21st century the job of a reporter  has become as important as a banker, politician or school teacher. People only believe what they see and hear. With this in mind I accept my responsibility and am prepared to continue on the upward trend of my career as a reporter.

Never underestimate the importance of having people in your life that will tell you the truth. In the meantime, go in the direction of your dreams! 

Hello world!


Love,

Ethan