The Road Less Traveled


June 15, 2011

Right now I am sitting in the Ft. Lauderdale airport in Florida. This is where I will be spending the night. Mostly by choice, but also because I  made an executive decision to come to the area for a procurement conference, which I believe will go a long way in allowing Team SHIFT, Inc or any future business entity I am part of to secure lucrative government contracting rights. It’s crazy how God works. While I am a professed devout Christian, I also like to call the energy which sends blessings ‘the universe.’ With this in mind, the universe has been sending me signs and opportunities of divine nature for about two weeks strong. 

The latest sign came last Sunday as I was sitting in a quiet area with my long time girlfriend, Courtney and we were completing the corporation process for Team SHIFT, a not for profit organization we co-founded to assist in the area of community development. I’d registered for the conference around June 1 just as I do for so many opportunities rather I have resources to attend or not. This one is free, and hosted by American Express. According to the marketing campaign and schedule or events government officials as well as other small business executives will be on sight networking about the procurement process. 

With this in mind, I knew I needed to be here if for no other reason than to get that exposure. I am a big fan of exposure. It was the 2006 National Association of Black Journalism conference in Indianapolis that exposed me to minorities operating on a level I hadn’t seen before in Bryan, Texas. So then, no sooner than ten minutes after I completed the incorporation process, showed Courtney the details about this conference, and deep exhaled as to say, “Maybe next time” Courtney’s phone rings. 

On the other end was Moriah, one of Courtney’s friends, and she needs someone to ride with her from Houston to South Carolina. She is taking a job in the New York area and wants to spend time in her home town before making the leap. Initially, I was not interested. I could not find the motivation to make such a bold move. Then Courtney made mentioned that it may be an in route to get to Miami. At the end of the day, Moriah ended up buying me a one way ticket from Miami to College Station, and I got her to drop me off in my second home, Atlanta. If you are wondering, Courtney and I made the investment to buy a plane ticket from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale and I will be taking a shuttle to Miami in the morning some time. 

I said all this to say, that we have to be on the ground and available if you expect the universe to be working in your favor. The options are simple. The task is not easy, but the options are simple. I am moving closer and closer to my goals each day. And the key word in that last sentence is goals. My life has been utterly amazing since I have adopted a goal setting system, made use of the ten second miracles, and realized the impact of a positive mental attitude. Granted, I realize the joy that I have comes from a greater power than any idea I could ever fathom, but it’s the notion that I can create my own destiny if I just use a little focused energy in addition to my prayer life. 

I do not know what to expect in Miami. What I do know is that I am here now and it is up to me to present myself as a young up and coming deal-maker when I arrive for the conference. My new business cards read “President/CEO.” It’s not the most comfortable thing seeing that yet, because I was always taught to get a job. But I left a good job with a decent salary in 2006, because I was not for the everyday hustle of conforming to someone else’s schedule. More than that though, I am a creator, a teacher, and now a father. I cannot leave my job to my son. Nor would it be any fun to teach other people how to make other people rich. And I certainly cannot be my creative self sitting at a cubicle. So then I am choosing to build. Thank you for coming along for the ride. 

Tell your friends. Alert your parents. Let the world know generation now is here. Let us take risks while we are young and allow our opportunities to multiply as we take advantage of them! 

EJizzle! 

Comments