There is room to grow taller

Today is January 3, 2011 and it is a day that will never come around again. Last night I was up until 6am fixing some things that have been broken for some time now in my life. Simple things like not having a routine I go through on a weekly basis. I also spent some time looking into rejoining the ranks of the radio industry. You see it was a little more than four years ago that I left a job with Citibank. It was then I realized that the way for me to support myself and a family in the American market is through self-employment.

I had been working for Citi for about a year. Going through the regular rigormaro that anyone would who has a regular 9-5pm job would. But I just was not fulfilled at all by what I was doing. So I decided to go all in and change some things. And that is what I did. I left my job, and enrolled in a local junior college. Before I knew it I was moving to Atlanta to attend the prestigious Morehouse College. I had successfully reverse a multi generational curse of under educated men in my family. Now this is not to say my family is full of illiterate people by any means.

I come from a strong family lineage, and it is because of those roots I knew it was the right thing to do. Even if it meant I would lose everything in the process and be forced to recreate everything I had known about myself as well as everything anyone had known about me! So, fast forward to the here and now. As today grows older and I look at the calendar far removed from a time when I was forced to adhere to someone else's schedule, I am excited about the opportunity to use my new skill set and identity to create a means of living for me and my family.

Challenging? Of course. But that is where the creative juices come in. I am forced to find a new comfort zone. As new way of thinking and a new idea of what is the right thing to do when it comes to being active in the marketplace. I welcome this challenge and now that I have turned the corner and the page on a new year I am prepared to conquoer yet another giant on this earth.

I have been given ample support from my family group since I returned to my hometown. That is my driving force, knowing there are people who are seeing me run this race and they are there with me every step of the way encouraging and lifting me higher as each day goes by. We face hurdles but it is so sweet to be able cross those hurdles together.

As I close, I pray you will continue to slay your giants and go after the internal desires of your heart. Those desires that may have lost some of their glow and those wants that you may have mentally erased. It is never too late to be what you should have been. And that is not to highlight you or me has faltering somewhere along the course b/c that is inevitable. What I will say is it is up to you. I offer you motivation in knowing that in this great country may that it be you can be all you want to be as long as your belief is big enough.


Ethan

Comments