The Life and Times of an Unwed Father: Happy Birthday Son

October 30, 2002

Today is my son’s 11th birthday. I am so proud of him for who he is growing up to be. Fatherhood for me has not been no crystal stare. I have been faced with ups, including those precious moments I have shared with my son. I have been hit with downs, including backlash from his mother, friends, family, and the court system. What I am most thankful for is that my son and I love one another, and we have a fruitful relationship.

There is so much that can be said about fatherhood, and so much more I need to learn even about myself as everything is ongoing. What I desire most to acquire is a keen sense of money management as well as increased self-discipline. By the time my son is at the point in life that qualifies him to care for himself and a family, I want him to have a basic set of values to live by.

For me, I never have had the opportunity to get those values from my father. While I love and cherish him, to this day, setting an example, providing advice and sharing wisdom are non-existent. My Heavenly father has instead sent me down a narrow road of trial and error. I have also been blessed with an amazing set of mentors as well. I guess you could say I am the living proof that good mentorship does work.

Today is a new day, and I find myself now sitting at the decision table. I find myself now running a start-up company while juggling what I deem as an unstable life. By unstable I mean, I have been couch surfing since January, barely getting by financially, and continue to face the ire of critics whom do not understand my calling. From a different perspective, I certainly am fortunate and grateful to live the life I live. I continue to make an impact in the areas of educational attainment, business, and real estate development in the communities I serve.

My life has become the epitome of well-balanced. Just enough going well to keep striving for perfection. Just enough not so well to remain humble and true to the call. My lifestyle is amazing. It’s my day-to-day life where I must get better. Fortunately, I have my “why,” and today he turned eleven years old. May God keep him and may God continue to richly bless and order our steps in this world.


Love. Peace. & HairGrease. 

-EB


@ethanbrisby, LinkedIn: Ethan Brisby, Facebook: Ethan Brisby 
Youtube: Ethan Brisby 

Comments